Marl Ridge Millworks sources its wood from already fallen trees, and gets its name from the historic farm where the sawmill sits atop iron-rich, gray-green marl. Owners Scott and Martha moved back to her family's place after spending a decade, give or take, working in education, environmental consulting and forestry. Here they are striving to fulfill their dream and plant the roots of their sustainable and small millworks business.
The land has been inhabited by Martha’s family since the early 1700s, and previously by the Pamunky tribe, a part of the Powhatan federation. While records at the Hanover Courthouse were destroyed during the Civil War, a penny dated 1719 was found in the walls of the farmhouse during renovations in the 1960s.
Having been passed through generations, the second house on the site was built in the early 1800s and still stands today as the farm's main residence. It sits on a small ridge along the border of Virginia's piedmont and coastal plain regions, where the wind rustles the pecan leaves and water flows from springs around the property, carving down into marl where chesapecten fossils can be found.